Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Belated Mothers Day

I didn't hear from nor get to see my son or grandson for Mothers day.  The reason why, is another story in itself.   I read the posts of everyone talking about their children visiting, doing this and that for them on Mothers day - part of it saddens me, for myself - but I am joyous for the goodness that kids do for their parents.

Today I went to Lamar University for lunch.  It's a great variety of food, cheap enough, and, in the past, I watch the students milling about with each other.  Their exuberance and laughter puts joy in my heart!

Standing in line, a young man walks up behind me and Jess.  "Ma'am,  may I buy ya'll's lunches today, because I have a lot of unused credits that will be wasted?"

I asked, "May I pay you for them?"

He smiled, "No ma'am I didn't get to see my mother for mother's day, it would be an honor for you to consider this as a belated mother's day gift."

I thanked him.  Jess asked his name.  The young man's name is "Jack".

In normal routine, I hugged Jack and thanked him for his kindness.

I was thrilled with the act of kindness.  The kindness made me cry.  I never ask for anything from others.  God knew I needed that little act of kindness and tenderness from a "son" - though it wasn't mine - the meaning was powerful to my heart.

I think of the comment to "pay it forward".  I "pay it forward" all the time - never thinking that one day it would be my turn to receive.  I will do more "pay it forwards" now - I know the joy of receiving.

I hope that from years long ago - that I taught my son to be kind like this.  I hope that he finds the joy that he is looking for with a mother, perhaps even in a stranger, since evidently, it isn't with me.  And, I hope that he makes a gray-haired lady smile and get weepy from the simple joy, just like Jack did to me today.

A few days late, but yes, I had a great mothers day!

No comments:

Post a Comment