Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Transmission Woes in Alabama

We really never know when traveling if something may or may not happen to our vehicles.  Coming back from Pigeon Forge, TN - I was  a victim of a transmission going out on my van.

I ended up in the very small town of Fort Deposit, Alabama.  I had no idea where to turn, who to depend on, who would be honest and who would not.  I just knew when the TRANSMISSION HOT IDLE ENGINE light came on - that meant nothing good was about to happen.

I stopped at a Petro (not like the truck stop) convenience/gas store.  I told the owner my plight and asked if I could spend the night in his parking lot.  He was agreeable and accommodating.  A police officer, who evidently everyone that was at the store knew and was chatting with him - came into the lot.  I let him know that we would be spending the night there and he said he would patrol the area at night.  I was a little relieved.

I got a few laughs while sitting there - like the one man who had a fishing rod welded to the back of his tool box with a cow bell dangling from it!  And, the folks trying to catch and feed the ferrel cats.  We marveled at the long hours the store owner puts in without complaining - how kind he was in worrying that we were warm enough - for offering us free coffee.

I asked certain ones through private messages to please pray for our safety, that we would find someone to help us that wouldn't over charge us, who would be fair with us and would be honest with us regarding my van.  I think I already knew it was going to be a replacement of the transmission.

The police officer gave me one name - Randy's Collision.

That night I heard every noise - from the road noise to someone stopping in the parking lot to the cats playing in the trash cans looking for food.

710 am Monday morning, I was on the phone to Randy's.  I spoke to a man named Glen.  He said they opened for 8am.  I was sitting there at 8am.

By this time, I'd posted what my plight was.  I had peace that everything was going to be alright.  I'm so very grateful for my friends who are prayer warriors.  Randy checked the transmission out - said we could run it in 3rd and he felt we'd be okay.  We left.  We didn't get 3 miles down the road and the light came back on.  I called Randy back - he said, turn around and bring it back.

While the transmission was hot, he checked it again.  "Slippage in over drive."  Yes, ma'am you are going to need a transmission.  He was trying to help me out financially with a used transmission.  But I asked for a new one - with a warranty.  He started making phone calls - found one - and said it'd be delivered to him on Wednesday morning.

Jess and me walked around the city - one church's architecture  was phenomenal.  I took lots of photos. There was no grocery store in town.  One cafe - closed on Sundays and Mondays.  One bank.  One post office.  2 gas stations.  But the town brought a calm feeling to me.  I could live in this town.

I had to get Jess back to Texas.  I got him a Super Dog (aka Greyhound) bus ride home.  Randy made arrangements to get Jess 40 miles back to Montgomery, Alabama.   They took me to a hotel 10 miles away, in Greenville, Alabama.

This morning I've asked myself, "what did you learn?"  I've learned to trust God even more in opening doors with perfect strangers.  I've learned to continue to believe in the power of prayer.   I've had a peace about this entire situation.  I didn't rant, nor rave.  I'm grateful I have the funds to be able to handle things the way I have.  I'm glad for the down time to get some PI work done, some billing done, and hopefully do some sewing.

I told Randy right up front, "I don't know what your church affiliation is, but this morning I'm holding to the scripture of Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the plans I have for you.  Plans to prosper and not to harm you"  He smiled real big - and said - "Ma'am if I can't help you I am surely not going to hurt you."  And, Randy has lived up to that promise.

Randy told me,  "Most women would be freaking out if that happened to them on the road."  I've been calm through it all.  And, I know that is strictly through my faith, strength from God and my favorite scripture "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

I think in life, that's all we can ask of each other - to help and not to hurt.  True, I would love to be home right now.  But, evidently God had another plan for me.  Jess made it safely into Texas early this morning.  He is safe at home.  Our CompoundQueen greeted him with her "eeks" and adorned him with lots of affection, he said.  I didn't sleep well, concerned for his safety - now, I can sleep, rest, sew, whatever I need to do.  I suppose that's the "caring" inside of me.

I'm going to make the most of today - and tomorrow - or whatever time is needed to get me back on the road - safely - and heading home.  And, I'm not going to fret over what I think should be happening! God brought me to it - and He is seeing me through it all.

Give God your issues - your cares - your woes - HE IS THE ONLY ONE - who can see you through the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment