Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Baseball Game of Life

The Baseball Game of Life

I like football, but I LOVE baseball. I love watching the Astros, even when they are losing. They are still my team. I’ve been known to be driving through a neighborhood, spot the tall lights of a stadium, stop and watch a little league game without knowing a soul on the team nor in the stands. There is just something about the crack of the bat, the athletes, the excitement in the air, the pop of the ball in the catcher’s mitt that gives me a thrill. I truly like to watch the tee-ball players. You can see the dreams and aspirations in their little faces, not to mention pure frustration at times.

I watched the Little League World Series Baseball Saturday afternoon. By the end of the first inning, I wasn’t a happy camper with the pitching. The young pitcher appeared to show too many emotions, fears, and frustrations. I was shouting for the Coach to pull him. The Coach and the team were miles away from me, and as one of my Facebook friends kindly told me, “I don’t think he can hear you.”

After the game, you could see the disappointment in the losing team. All of a sudden I thought of the disappointment we will have if we aren’t allowed into Heaven.

What if there were people in Heaven waiting to see who was coming into the Pearlie Gates next and someone shouted, “Throw her out!”

Being a Christian does not mean that we are perfect, only that we are forgiven. How many times do people mistreat us and we do not forgive? How many times do we wrong others, even in the slightest, and we don’t ask for forgiveness?

I’m glad I serve a risen Savior. I’m glad that people’s judgment calls of me won’t be the reason I’m kept out of Heaven. Only by my actions and deeds, repenting, knowing Jesus as my Lord and Savior, will I get into Heaven.

Life is like a baseball game, each player can serve as ten years of our life. That’s a total of ninety years. I hope it doesn’t take ninety years for me to do the things I know I’m suppose to do and get my life right with Christ. I’m glad that our sins aren’t the three strikes and you are out. Sometimes we make it to first base, life gets a little tough, so we gotta steal second, and we make it in just barely before the devil gets us. I’m glad the Umpire is going to be fair and loving and kind. My coach along the way has been my Bible and the other players are the family and friends who’ve helped me and cheered me to Home Plate.

I want to be one of those standing at the Gate when you make it to Heaven and I want to be shouting “Come on in! It’s a Home Run!” I want to be among those cheering you making it to Home Plate. “When we all get to Heaven, What a day of rejoicing that will be…” Pass a good one…

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. Thank God we don't have three strikes and we're out. Seven times seventy--over and over again--His forgiveness. I think God sometimes sighs over me and shakes His head but times he smiles and laughs with me. They are times when I cry, I can feel His hand on my head comforting me. I like how you put that our coach is our Bible. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it. Thanks for sharing your God inspired thoughts - that's what they are, just like the Bible. I have had some ah-ha moments this weekend and I believe it's growing me more. I'll be waiting at those pearly gates to for those that come after me.

    ReplyDelete