Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homecoming

Home

When Hurricane Rita hit us, we had no clue for several months what to do. I think I personally went into a state of shock for a while. My office was gone, computers, trees, our store was damaged and everything in it – it was a mess.

We were very blessed with friends who came and assisted us in getting things as back together in bins and cleaning up the debris as possible. But it wasn’t the same place any more.

We got hit again 3 years later; about the time that we were starting to pick up the pieces and get our lives back together again. Another kick back.

We’ve worked hard all summer long. First we had termite damages that had to be taken care of. Then we started on repairing the roof of the “old store”. More mold, debris. Going through boxes and boxes of books – throwing away those that were moldy or damaged. It just seems it’s been a long journey.

Today I m back in my office, my original office – which later turned to a store. It will never go back to being anything but my office. The majority of this portion of the house is restored. We are working on the rest of it. But, I am home.

It feels good to be home. There’s a feeling of peace that comes with each repair. It’s a feeling, “I’m home.”

The road has been a journey – with lots of speed bumps and huge potholes – not to mention tears. I think those have been placed in the journey to make me appreciate all that I have, all of my blessings and everything and everyone around me.

Neighbors have stopped in to hug me and tell me how much they’ve missed me. Even some whom I put in prison that are out have stopped by to tell me hello and that they missed me.

I suppose you can wander from home – but home is where you hang your heart – I’m looking forward to getting my earthly home refurbished and everything organized. But more importantly, as I go through life, I hope that I am also making the preparations for my Heavenly Home – because that’s going to be the one that counts the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment