Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Princess

Princess

I have a friend who keeps calling her daughter Princess and the child tells the little sister, “Do this or that because the Princess says”.

I don’t like that. I think it plants a false seed in a child’s mind. I think that it is cute to a degree – but teaches the child a falsehood of life.

Life isn’t going to be about that child being a “Princess” – think of the rejection she will have from other peers and classmates. One child is called a “Princess” and not the other. Where does that leave the sibling?

I think it is setting the child up for failure. If the “princess” doesn’t get what she wants, then how will she react? This “Princess” recently told me “when you come see me you are suppose to bring me presents, because I am a Princess”

I quickly informed the child that was rude to ask or tell someone to bring her a gift. I think this is really stretching “fairy tale living”.

God says, “I made you when you were still in your mother’s womb. I know the most intricate parts of you.” Why would we want to be anyone else other than whom God made us? And, why would we want to teach a child that fiction is the truth?

Children live what they learn. And, when a child is given false encouragement, the child is doomed for failure and heartbreak. Teach a child to love herself for whom she is – and not something fictional!

No comments:

Post a Comment