Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thinking of Others

I sometimes wonder when folks say, “I’ll be thinking of you.” If that is what they really mean or is that just something they are saying?

Sometimes I think I may phone someone too early or too late in the mornings or evenings. You know that you are old when someone calls after 9pm and says, “Were you sleeping?” And, you are really old when you have to say, “Yes!”

I do think of others – or at least I try. I think as Christians we are suppose to pray for one another, help one another where we can and love one another.

I rejoice in good news from friends. I love hearing about their doings and goings. I love seeing the pictures of their families, or their vacations, or projects that they are working on.

I cry when one of my friends hurt or is sad or has lost a loved one. I hurt for them.

Saying all of this doesn’t mean that you get into the middle of someone’s business and tell him or her how to run his or her lives. It means that we are to be caring, as we would want them to care for us. We need to take more interest in our neighbors and friends. Don’t let them use you or take your kindness and thoughtfulness as a weakness. But, show interest in what they are doing.

I think if more parents and grandparents showed interest in what their children were doing, there possibly could be more family unity.

Philippians 2:4 “Don’t just think about your own affairs but be interested in others too and in what they are doing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment