Monday, January 3, 2011

Manners

I have a friend, an older gentleman, who just cannot seem to grasp manners at a table. He cannot stuff his mouth or belly quick enough. I am to the point I cannot eat a meal at the same table as he. I have gone through autopsy photos during meals, read crime scene information with the blood guts and gore, but I just cannot bring myself to eat around him.

At meal times when he is around, I often think of Jesus when he went to the wedding and made the wine or when he took the loaves of bread and fish and divided it among so many. I would doubt there was gluttony among those eating and drinking.

Manners go a long way for a person – not only in their personal life but also in their professional careers. Who wants to sit at a table across from someone smacking, or talking with food in their mouths, or not even wiping their mouth while they eat?

That is one thing I am very glad that I was hard on my son regarding his table manners. Many a mother would call and compliment me on how well Patrick’s table manners were.

I think when we eat – our bodies are a Temple of God.

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

And, I think that means the way we eat and drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment