Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Speaking at a Funeral

“I’m dying,” said my friend stoically to me. I looked at her with bewilderment not knowing what to say or do. I wanted to hug her, I wanted to cry. But the expression on her face was a look that I cannot even describe.

“Okay, when?” I asked.

“Soon. I have stage 5 cancer.”

We sat there quietly for a long time.

“What are you going to say about me at my funeral?” She asked.

“Uhm I didn’t know I was saying anything at your funeral.”

“Yes, you have to – you know me the best. Even the preacher won’t get it right – but you will.”

I had to make a promise to a dying friend that I would speak at her eulogy. She had already told the preacher not to preach – that I would handle the speaking parts.

I left dumbstruck. And, then I thought about my own life. What will people say about me when I’m dead? Have you ever thought of that question? And, then I wondered, “How many people would come to my party?” See, I’m being cremated, and have instructed in my Will that there be a party – a celebration of my life.

I want folks to look at an old house and think of me, or look or touch a quilt and feel my warmth; I want them to smell a rose in the garden and feel me with the wind that blows through their hair; I want to be remembered in lots of ways – and not laying in a casket.

I’ve thought of what I am going to say about my friend. I am going to talk on John 3:16. Angie is one of the most devoted Christians – and how better to rejoice with her life – than to make sure that others accept Jesus as their Savior as well.

And, I’m going to think more about my life – and hope that as I make my journey that I am touching folks in a positive manner. I want to leave a footprint in their hearts and minds – in a wonderful way – and not someone they would rather forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment