Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Count Your Blessings

I woke this morning with the song going on in my head, "Count your blessings name them one by one... count your blessings see what God hath done."

Everyday there are woes - we may feel an ache or a pain. We may feel down and disheartened. We may feel that we are the only persons in the world going through any thing like this.

We waller in our own self-pities without looking around us for others who may be in worse shape than we are.

I'm learning on days when I am feeling like a freight train rolled over me - or that I'm not carrying enough self-pity - I take a drive. A simple drive. Not far from my house. I drive by a place at lunch time - Henry's Place - that serves lunches to the homeless.

The lines are significantly longer now, it seems. I make myself sit there and watch the people. As poor as church mice, they have smiles. Many have ragged clothes. I look at what I am wearing. I look at what I'm driving.

I leave counting my blessings. And, on the drive home - I count my blessings - naming them one by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment