Friday, December 3, 2010

My New Old House

New Old House

I am buying a new – but very old house. It was built in 1898. The house was home to the Langham family of Beaumont. One of the more prominent families – even founders of many things here in Beaumont.

I love the old houses. My home was built in 1892. When I found that this house was going to be destroyed so that FEMA could build the lady a new house – I cringed! So many things in our area have been destroyed – for the sake of “progress”.

When I bought my house, I had come off of a horrible marriage – and my refurbishing the old place was therapy. I also found furniture on the side of the road – discarded and not too pretty – that I would refurbish and reupholster.

When refurbishing these old houses – I think of how God never gives up on us – no matter how old we become – He forgives us, He loves us, and He is always there to make us shine.

So, perhaps like the old houses that I’m working on, I, too, am a work in progress – always trying to refurbish my old ways and make myself new in Christ.

Now, where’s that hammer?

No comments:

Post a Comment