Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Doris

Doris

I took Doris to the grocery store. Dropped her off and we went down the street for breakfast. We came back to do our little shopping to find her checking out. When we’d gotten through the entire store – she was still checking out. She was “having problems” with her debit card. Her food stamp card was for only $50.00

She had to return everything – and they had to re-ring her groceries up. She picked what all she really needed and the bill came to 50.13. The store covered the .13.

That pretty much broke my heart, to think that we live in America and have so many taking advantage of the “system” yet; people like Doris needs and cannot have.

“Doris, I’m not being nosey, but what do you get a month?” I asked

“I get $674 including food stamps and I pay rent, gas, water, lights, phone and my groceries and it don’t leave much for anything else.”

Friday we had boxed up 2 boxes of food for the food bank. When we got to the food bank – it was closed. Today the 2 boxes went to Doris. I figure there is a rhyme and reason to everything that happens and with everything closed – Doris was the winner.

God did take care of Doris – she may not have gotten all the food that she wanted at the store – but He saw a way for her.

Poor as a church mouse – with a heart and smile bigger than Texas. She doesn’t worry. She takes life in stride. Today, Doris taught me a lesson in relying more on GOD for my needs than on myself.

“So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment