Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Praying for Caregivers

Someone I know and love has the beginnings of Alzheimer’s. I started seeing tale tail signs a few years back. Of late, I am seeing more issues.

One of the first things I noticed out of place was my deodorant in the refrigerator a few times. He doesn’t remember saying things or doing things. He has to be reminded several times regarding tasks. He can’t be given a list or that confuses him and only partial parts of each item on the list will be done – not anything that would finalize a task before he goes on to the next one. He gets confused to the days of the week. He forgets places we have gone. He forgets.

To cover his “disability” he sticks close to me. He will order exactly what I order so that he doesn’t have to make a decision. Sometimes, I will have to say “Oh I thought you were going to get the lasagna instead of the manicotti!” And, then he will change his mind and say, “Oh yea I was.”

I am trying to learn to take on a new role. I am learning to be a caregiver in many ways. I have to learn to assist without being angry or getting upsets. I have to learn a new line of patience. I have to learn to juggle issues for him, me, and my company and clients. I have to learn to be independent and strong.

Many people go through caring for someone with an illness. Many go through years of worrying about someone with Alzheimer’s. Yesterday, broke my heart when he asked, “if I get real bad will you just get rid of me?” Lord knows that question almost buckled my knees. We have foggy days and not so foggy days.

I’m working toward the goal of the most High… and in doing so; I garner my strength from Him. Pray for the caregivers of those who are ill, they need prayer as much as the one who is sick sometimes. I know God isn’t going to put any more on my shoulders than what I can’t handle – and I know God has a purpose in all of this – there is always a rhyme and a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment