Monday, November 1, 2010

Teach our Children

Had a parent at my garage sale wishing she could purchase an antique wrought iron bed for $125.00 for her daughter. The mom’s nails were manicured with artificial nails, she carried a new iPhone 4, and was driving a decent- but not new – vehicle.

She said, “I want to buy my kids everything they want, but I’m not working right now.”

She didn’t buy the bed. I did sell it for $200 to someone who knew the worth of the antique.

I thought about the things the lady had said. She was an unemployed schoolteacher. Yet, when I asked her 4 year old “can you write your name?” She shook her head “no”.

I think it is real sad that parents have lost sight of what is important in the lives of children. I wonder, if that school-teacher mom had spent at least 2 hours a day with her child teaching her math, writing, reading, alphabet (she also couldn’t even do her ABCs) how much the brain of that child would have absorbed!

When I asked, “what do you do during the day?” The child said, “Play outside.”

There’s a scripture in the Bible that says, “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it.” I’m sorely afraid for our children this day. Many parents aren’t making good memories, instilling knowledge in their children – simple knowledge like baking cookies or making kool-aide together – but instead – they choose to let the television be their babysitter and someone else to teach their children.

My clients are defendants in the criminal justice system. Pretty much each has told me, and it’s been confirmed, that they raised themselves – had to learn things on their own - about life – living – and surviving – and in the end – many will only come out of prison in a box.

I pray for the children of today. I prayed for this child the entire time I saw her and even, now, 2 days later – that somehow this mother will see the injustice she is doing to the child – not only in making memories and helping her grow – but putting her behind other children and her peers in the classroom.

Pray for the children of our Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment