Friday, November 12, 2010

Saving the Best

Saving the Best

My grandmother grew up and even as an adult was poor as a church mouse monetarily. She “saved” everything. She used to get beautiful gowns and sheets for birthdays and Christmas. She’d never use them. “I’m saving them for a special occasion.” Her special occasion never came. She was put into a nursing home, then the hospital, then in a coffin.

When we cleared out her house – there were at least 3 dozen sheet sets still in packages – gowns with tags still on them – never worn or used.

I have had ladies who got china when they were married and never used it - waiting on the “special occasion”.

I think life is a special occasion – each and every day. If we have it – we should use it. If it’s given to us – we use it. If it’s too small – give it to someone who can wear it or take it back for a different size.

Our families are special enough to use that china on – or those fancy placemats – or to use the new quilts. If family and friends aren’t the special folks in our lives on a daily basis then who is? Who are we “saving for the special occasion” for?

God isn’t going to let us bring our worldly goods to Heaven. Hopefully we’ve earned our Heavenly home and all it’s glory. I think I’m going to start using the china and anything else I have – if it’s still good when I’m gone – then the kids can enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment