Monday, September 27, 2010

Distractions

Traveled to Houston this morning. Left the house real early – the closer I got to the City part of Houston (as in downtown) the more I noticed drivers doing things besides driving and paying attention.

One man was actually reading the paper

A woman was putting on mascara

One man was using his electric (probably battery charged) shaver

A young man was eating his breakfast

Many were drinking “something”

And, more than all of the above was either talking on the cell phone or texting.

Back in February, we had a wreck. The young lady was texting and speeding. She ran smooth up into the back of a 16’ trailer.

When we got to her, we asked, “Are you okay?” Yes, she assured us and I think her that she was indeed just fine. “Were you texting?” I asked after looking down at her hand with a phone in it. She jerked the phone out of sight and said; “Now I’m not!”

Well imagine that!

I wonder how she would have felt had there been someone hurt or Lord forbid, dead?

I wonder if the distraction of texting and causing accidents has happened in the past?

I wonder – lots of things. I have prayed for this young lady ever since the wreck. I pray that she has learned something from it all, that she won’t jeopardize her life or anyone else’s. I’ve also prayed hoping that she has Jesus as her Lord and Savior.

I’m grateful that material things can be repaired.

And, most of all, I am grateful to know that had it been Jess’ time to die, that he would have ascended to Heaven – because of his personal walk with God.

God tells us to “pray for one another, love one another.” Sometimes when our material things are in jeopardy – that is hard to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment