Thursday, September 16, 2010

People

People

I have to interview a lot of folks in preparation for trials. It amazes me the concept that our defendants may have of what folks may say about them.

I’ve had some clients who will say, “Oh I know he doesn’t like me and won’t be favorable for me.” And, it turned out just the opposite – the witness was extremely favorable.

Then I’ve had clients who say, “Oh we were really good friends and did lots of things together.” When talking with the witness, I learn that they really couldn’t stand to be around the client and “tolerated” them.

I’ve made lots of mistakes in my life. But the older I get, I want to make sure when I say something – that it’s the truth, that it’s what I mean, and that I’m remembered to be a fair but firm person.

I’m sure there are people who don’t care for me – does that hurt my feelings? In a way, it bothers me what others think. But my biggest quest is “what does God think?”

We are only human. We cannot please everyone all the time. So many folks try to be like the lizards who change colors to suit their environment.

I think if we are planning our future – that what God thinks about us is the most important thing of all. And, if we get that part of our lives right, the rest will fall into place. We don’t have to please but one person – our Father in Heaven. And, when we all get to the Pearly Gates, that’s who we will be judged by – Him and only Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment