Thursday, September 9, 2010

Siblings

Siblings

I am the only girl. I have an older half brother, Donald. He lived with his mother, and we didn’t see much of him. Growing up I was the only child living with our dad, until I was almost seventeen years old – that’s when my baby brother, Brandon was born, another half-brother – if you are looking at genetics. I love that boy as if he were my own. I want the best for him that life can give. I want all the happiness, wealth and love that he can possibly stand. I want only good things for him.

Today is his birthday!

I’ve often thought, though, I was grown and left home when he was small, what it would’ve been like if we were closer in age? Would I have been the protective older sister? Would we have shared secrets? That doesn’t matter. Brandon has been a huge part of my heart, whether he has ever realized that or not. I would go to meet the devil, if it meant protecting him.

I don’t always agree with him, but that is part of life. I don’t always like the things or the way he says things, that, too, is part of life. None of that means that I do not love him. It’s just best to agree to disagree, hold no grudges, and enjoy the time we have left on this earth together.

I hear in church, we call folks Brother So and So or Sister So and So. For a long time growing up I thought that was odd to call them that, because I wasn’t related to any of them. The more I studied God’s word; I realized that we are all sisters and brothers in Christ.

Love one another as Christ has loved us. Pray for one another.

I miss seeing my brother like we used to see each other. There isn’t a day that goes by I don’t have him or his son, Chase, on my mind. I miss the closeness that we once had. I miss hearing from him daily. It isn’t that we are angry at one another – life has become hectic and busy. He never knows which end of the world I’m at and I hate to bother him with phone calls.

I’m thinking that has to change. We’re both getting older – and I miss him more and more. Love one another…brothers and sisters… pray for one another. Happy Birthday Brandon. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment