Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Friendships

Friendships


I heard someone the other day say, “I have a new friend.”

I was like “Wow, that’s great! How long have you known her?

“We just met.”

I couldn’t say anything. To me, someone you’ve just met is an acquaintance. . How do you know over time that you are really going to like this person? How do you know whom this person really is or that you can trust them?

Here is what friendship is, in my humble opinion.

A friend is one that if I can’t sleep and have something on my mind I can call at any hour of the day or night. They will talk me or pray me through it.

A friend is someone that knows all your deepest secrets and doesn’t criticize you – but loves you for who you are.

A friend tells you when you are doing wrong.

A friend is a helpmate.

A friend has your back at all times.

A friend is the one who brings the smothered pork chop sandwiches on the plane because she knows her friend isn’t going to like the food!

A friend hugs the fears away.

A friend is who gives us the push to do the things we should and helps makes us a better person.

A friend is a shoulder to cry on when we need it. They are strong for us when our own wings have forgotten how to flap.

A friend is better than family.

A friend loves at all times, is not envious or jealous.

A friend is someone you trust with anything – your money, your husband, your children, and your life.

A friend is one who will sit by your bedside as you lie dying and tell you how pretty you are, and promises not to leave you as you transition into the next life.

A friend is one who helps pick up the pieces when the hurricane blows through and rips your life apart.

A friend is one that makes sure during that hurricane that you’ve got food, water, ice, and anything else they can think of that you may need.

A friendship doesn’t happen over night. It is something that takes years to develop. It’s something that money can never buy. It’s something that no matter how many years keep you apart, you can pick right back up where you left off

I count my blessings for my friendships. Some of my friendships are over fifty years old! What a blessing!

Facebook has helped reunite me with many of my childhood friends. We’ve gotten back together, we have laughed, we have cried, we’re as if nothing has ever happened and no time has gone by. We are gearing up for our 40th class reunion in 2012. I’m tickled pink to be a part of putting together friends again.

Don’t take the word “friend” and use it loosely. Initial introductions are mere acquaintances. Friends love for life and even love after we are long gone.

Cherish your true friendships. It takes being a friend to have a friend. Pass a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment