Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Simple Thank You

A Simple Thank You

How many times have people done something for you without you being asked and you forget to say “Thank You!”?

The older I get, the more I want to be aware of the kindnesses of others. This world seems to be “takers” and less “givers”. It seems that our younger generation expects us to give and give and rarely do you hear a voice of appreciation.

My grandmother used to say, “sweeten the pie and you will have more friends”. I used to think that meant actually putting more sugar in the pie. Later, I realized the pie was me- and the sweeter I am to folks or the kinder I am to folks the more I am appreciated.

I have also learned that you aren’t always rewarded for your goodness. You aren’t always thanked. I have also learned you may not be blessed by the person you helped - but somewhere down the line – you will be more than appreciated or blessed.

I think we, as people fall short on thanking others who help us. Take a little time, even make a phone call or send a note to someone who has helped you – don’t forget to say thank you.

I’ve often said, giving is like a pitcher of water – the person giving. You pour the water from the pitcher and the more you pour, the less water is in the pitcher. The pitcher has to be refilled at some point. It’s like a human; a person can only give so much without feeling empty or unappreciated at some point. A hug, a thank you – that’s all it takes to replenish the “pitcher”.

Try it today and see what happens – watch the glimmer in the eyes – the smile on the face – just a simple thank you – even for a minor something!

No comments:

Post a Comment