Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Reminders

Reminders

It amazes me how sights or sounds or “things” can remind you of someone or your past. I see a quilt, I think of my grandmother. I go to a rodeo, I think of an Uncle who clowned all the prison rodeos and was a PRCA Rodeo clown. I start canning jams and jellies, I think of aunts chatting in the kitchen and putting up the finest peach or fig preserves. I go fishing or fishing and I think of my maternal grandparents.

I see a frog and have to giggle – remembering a time when my dad and me went frog gigging.

Evidently we were on someone else’s property and didn’t realize it – at least I didn’t realize it. The lights in this old house came on, some man hollered “who’s out there?” and fired a shotgun in the air.

That was enough – we both scrambled through the wire fence. I got in trouble once back to the house. I’d ripped a brand new pair of Wrangler jeans – not in a place that could be repaired – but right across the buttocks – as Forest Gump would say!

The smells, the sights can bring warm memories or they can also bring the bad ones as well. Bad memories that continue to give us nightmares.

How do we get over a bad memory? I think with time, prayer, friends, patience, and honesty with us and facing our fears and demons head on. Sometimes we can read and educate ourselves and sometimes it takes talking to someone about them.

If you are battling your fears or demons – work on them – God doesn’t want us to live in fear – He wants only the best for us. We have a kind and loving God who protects us. In protecting us, he gives us the knowledge and courage to over come whatever it is that is hindering us from enjoying life, as we should. Find your peace – over come your fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment