Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Clutter

The Clutter

I keep telling myself “you have all this stuff for this garage sale because you closed down two stores”. Hmmm – yes that is all true. But, I must admit, I’m totally surprised at the “clutter”, even if it is for a garage sale. I’m totally blown away at how much we’ve cleared out and yet – what all remains.

As I sat taking a break this afternoon (pedometer says I’ve walked 12.8 miles this morning) I looked at the clutter in my driveway and studied the clutter. I’m praying it will bring in money – at least a little – perhaps enough to replace the carpet upstairs from the damages of Hurricane Ike. I don’t think I am asking for much.

I thought about how cluttered our lives can get. I thought about all the activities that most of us have going on – especially parents and grandparents with children to run after.

I think sometimes it is necessary to “de-clutter” our lives. I think we have to let go of the hurts, the damages done to us; we have to redress ourselves. We have to put on the whole armor of Christ – to survive – and to do that – we have to let go of the clutter – the clutter that keeps us from reading God’s word or the clutter that keeps us from diligently praying or the clutter that keeps us from singing God’s praises.

I’m really working at de-cluttering my home. I want a simplistic life at home. I want a more organized life. I want to have a place for everything and everything in its place. And, in my personal life, I want to rid myself of the hurts of the past, the anger I may still be carrying for one cause or another, and anything that keeps me from being better. I want to shout and sing without worrying about the clutter or who helped put it there.

I think we all carry our own clutter. And, when the clutter manifests into pure garbage, then we lose sight of who we are, what God’s purpose for us is and how to accomplish the task.

1 comment:

  1. i love reading your thoughts - they are worth contemplating and inspiring. thanks.

    ReplyDelete