Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pharmacy Mistakes

Pharmacy Mistakes

Yesterday I had gone to the doctor in the States for the first time in many years. I’m having a slight problem with my shoulder so the good Doctor gave me an Rx for a pain relief and anti-inflammatory. I went to the drug store, they asked me my date of birth, etc and I answered all their questions, realizing that information was probably important.

The Rx was filled quickly, I grabbed the bag and home I went.

Some 4 hours later, I needed a little relief, so I opened the bag to find that I’d been given the wrong medicine. I’m allergic to hydrocodone and any other codeine medicines. That particular brand is a life-threatening factor for me. When I went back to the pharmacy, I was told “we substituted this for you”.

“Without asking?”

“We looked on your chart and didn’t see the allergen on your chart.”

“The chart is over 7 years old and you didn’t ask.”

“You should have told us you had allergies.”

I was furious – and I am not quite sure as to whom – the Dr for prescribing something that he clearly knows I’m allergic to and for him herding me out of there like cattle so he could collect his money – both from me and my insurance; or if I was upset with myself for having not looked more specifically at what he prescribed and what I got; or the pharmacy because of their lack of care in making sure I got what I was suppose to get.

After taking Aleve, lying in bed, I thought of the situation. And, I thought, “how many times have we made mistakes and yet God has forgiven? And, how many times does He keep forgiving?”

I was grateful that I didn’t take it, I was grateful I was cautious first in reading the label. I was grateful for my guardian angel that was surely watching over me.

But, I also was scared – fearful for our elderly – who may not have enough snap to look at those bottles and be able to check the labels.

Dear God, please help those folks who need a little extra attention regarding their medicines.

No comments:

Post a Comment