Monday, October 25, 2010

Homecoming

Homecoming

Some folks say that you can’t go back home, that there’s never a returning point. John Grisham wrote Bleachers about a football player who returned home when his football coach died.

I went home yesterday – to a Football Homecoming. It was the first homecoming I’ve been too since I graduated high school in 1972. A group of us had planned to meet.

I was hesitant at first about even going. But, then I was depended upon to purchase tickets for eight folks. I didn’t want to let anyone down. And, I had to repay my brother who picked the tickets up for me.

As one friend at a time showed up, there were hugs and more hugs, laughter, a few tears, and pure joy.

I was not disappointed in going to the Homecoming.

Some folks say things aren’t the same as it was when we were kids. That’s okay, things aren’t supposed to be. We are supposed to be adult enough to go with the flow of things and discard the rubbish.

There’s a saying that you know who your friends are when there is a distance of time between the visits – but when you are together it’s as if there was no time lapse at all – and you can pick up right where you left off.

I was glad to see Milton, Ellen (who reminded me of a prank I played on one of the counselors at GA camp one year), Janice, Debbie, Lynda, David, Camille, Rhonda, Tommy, Scott, Kathy and others who were there.

I’m grateful for friends. I hope that you have the opportunity to reach out and find an old friend today. Friends know how to lift our hearts and make our wings flap when we forget how to fly. They are strength when we need it; laughter that can fill our souls; they are the salt of the earth; they are part of the threads that bind us. I’m so glad I went to that homecoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment