Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recipes

I’ve started collecting recipes. I plan to use them one day. One in particular is a watermelon rind pickle recipe. We recently purchased 4 melons (I gave one away). With the three remaining melons, I plan to juice them, and then attempt my first batch of watermelon rind pickles.

My grandmother used to make them all the time. I wish I would have be more aware back then and written down a lot of her recipes. I regret not having taken the time to do so.

Recently a cousin sent me a great-Aunt’s teacake recipe. They are to die for! I remember Aunt Ellie making these, after they cooled wrapping them in a clean tea towel (now there’s a difference in a tea towel and a drying towel) and putting them inside a tin coffee container with a lid on it that would seal them up tightly to keep them fresh as long as the teacake lasted.

I don’t want to just be a collector. I do collect other things like antiques, baseball stuff, dolls, and quilts. I want to make and share. I want to make and sell.

I’m thinking, “How will this younger generation ever know anything about “real” cooking except what they get out of the frozen food section of the stores?”

Perhaps it is time that we spend more time teaching our children than preparing for them. Maybe it’s time to get a group of children together and let them bake their own cookies. When was the last time you spent time with a child, teaching them something? Let's teach them the recipes of life.

Let’s not be collectors, let’s be doers….. and if you have an old recipe you want to share – send it to me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to send you my grandmother's cinnamon rolls. Oh, they were the best and she made them all the time. I got her to write down her recipe before she left us - I hardly ever bake them - why, well I'm not a fan of the kitchen mainly! But I shall continue to be there anyway.

    ReplyDelete