Monday, October 18, 2010

World War II Veterans

World war II Veterans.

Read an article yesterday that was disturbing to me. Not the article, itself, but what occurred. It seems that six 90+ year old World War II veterans were not allowed into a fancy restaurant in Dallas because of what they had on – which were tee-shirts declaring they were POWs, their caps which declared what troop they were with, walking shorts and sneakers.

The young hostess told them they couldn’t come into this establishment, owned by Wolfgang Puck, because they didn’t meet certain dress codes.

I was disheartened that a youngster would do this to an elderly person, not to mention a World War II veteran.

I thought of how we judge people by what they have on. I see the youngster with 2 or 3 boxer shorts hanging from the baggy britches that show his rump and think, who is he trying to impress? Or I see the girl with a skirt up so short and tight that when she bends over it’s “see more hiney” time and wonder if she is a prostitute or something.

There was a comment on an article where a photo of a bereaved wife showed her cleavage and one person says, “she should’ve worn something less revealing than that if she is really in mourning.”

I do not wear expensive clothes. Most are mine are homemade. I’m sure that I’ve been judged by what I had on or didn’t have on.

Later that afternoon, I thought again about the article. I thought of the photos of the battles that these men may have fought in. I thought of my son and others I know who are in Afghanistan and I wondered if when their old ages come, will some young girl forget history and disrespect them as well.

I just hope and pray that these 90+ year old heroes know they are loved and appreciated!

I am ever so grateful that God is the only one who counts in the judging department. I am also very grateful that God loves us as we are and not what others want us to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment